Do you want to burn extra calories, work on motor coordination and challenge your balance? Is your knee hurting as you walk up the hill? Turn around and take a part of your walk backwards. It’s called retro-walking.
Walking in reverse with balance and control comes in handy many times a day. Where does this happen?
- As you take a step back to open the front door.
- Forgot your keys in the house? You will probably place one foot back while changing direction.
- During a two person furniture lift, you’re the lucky one who gets to walk backwards!
- Moving in a crowded kitchen, you back up to let your daughter squeeze by.
- At the gallery you see a beautiful painting and take a few steps back to take it in.
- On the playground you balance with a backward stepping response as your friend races by. This time, you don’t fall.
- On the soccer field you run in reverse to prevent the other team from scoring.
Continue reading “Backward Walking: What Are the Benefits?”